Wednesday 29 February 2012

A Digital Nation - Video

Hello!

The video shown in class titled "A Digital Nation" (I believe!) was full of interesting ideas. It is somewhat alarming, if we think about it, just how reliant we are on our technology in contemporary society. I mean, I have an 11 year old sister, and her same-age friend recently received and Iphone, on contract. Are you kidding? What does an 11 year old need an apple smart phone with calling, texting, and browsing for. I mean, REALLY? I don't even have an Iphone, I can't afford one!

BUT, I digress (That happens FAR too often). My point is, we really are obsessed with technology and digital devices in our everyday lives, and the video really shows how this might be affecting us. It really looked at our ability to multitask, not even while using the device, but just in general! What they found? We were getting much WORSE. Yup, I said worse. Many people thought that this practice of using electronics so regularly in everyday life alongside other processes would enable us to vastly grow our ability to multitask, but as it turns out it actually seems to be detrimental to our abilities. Huh. So texting, driving, eating, AND applying eyeliner is PROBABLY not a great idea.

Look, I'll admit, if my phone rings and I'm driving, Ill look at it. If I'm at a red light? Ill check a text. It's so bad even I'm doing it, but we really ARE wrapped about the digital age. In classrooms this has had an impact, what with students texting during class rather than absorbing information. Of course the benefits are there too, where kids have the capability to browse the Internet and communicate digitally right from their phones or other devices, it's amazing really. But are kids using them for this? Probably not.

The fact is, technology is great, but sometimes it isn't always going to be beneficial to our brains, especially if we don't use it correctly. In fact, the warning message (at least I saw it) in digital nation speaks to the fact that we really need to think critically about our use of, and addiction to technology.

EDIT: Leap year blog post? Awww yeah! One for the ages...well...for four years anyways.
Zach

No comments:

Post a Comment